Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ampex F4460 reel to reel.

wrote in message ...

Those are some great ideas Bruce but I think I've been down that whole road
already. The machine is definitely from the US market only, that is 115V
60Hz
marked. Yesterday I tried putting a small AC cap in parallel with the
original
3uf cap. It made the motor hum and slowed it down. Today I'll try decreasing
the capacitance slightly and see what happens. I'm running out of tricks
though.
I still have to wonder though would a 55RPM drop in motor speed cause the
degree of speed problem I'm seeing on the tape? Lenny

As I pointed out, it's a 3% change. Gears and pulleys work on ratios, not
absolute values. The motor appears to be basically "on speed", so the problem
has to be somewhere else.

This is not a personal remark, just a statement of what I see as fact. It
appears that you don't understand much about mechanical systems. You need to
find someone who feels comfortable with them, and have him take a look,