Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Exposed Outdoor Main Breaker problems

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 6:13:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 05:45:00 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, December 15, 2014 11:50:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:59:57 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, December 15, 2014 5:02:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 15:11:41 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
typed:
In my area, all commercial buildings must have an exterior MAIN
breaker, and it can not be locked. This is so the fire department
can shot off the power quickly if there is a fire or other disaster. . . .
,

Isn't there something that can be done? Why cant the Fire Dept
install their own lock, and give the owner a key? I decided to post
this, to see if other communities have any sort of solution.

I would be interested in knowing which State or town has this requirement.

Aparently there are still a few backwards communities that still have
this requirement.

"Still" would seem to imply that it was common in the past. This
is the first i've heard of it.

Me too. It sounds more like legislation made by the clueless. In my
experience, if the fire department wants in, they go in. It might not
be pretty tho. They might just rip that lock off with a fire axe.

I have also seen them take out meters the same way.
Pop the seal, snap the ring off and pull the meter with a few quick
flicks of the wrist.

Around here they aren't so gentle. I saw a house fire where a fireman
used the pointed end of a fireman's
axe to rip the ring off the meter, then pry it out, letting it crash
to the ground, smashed up real good.

Yeah that is the trick I was talking about.

Oh, I get it now. I'm running a bit slow this AM I guess....