Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default solar pv to storage heater

wrote:

Interesting feedback thanks. Obviously not a good idea is the general consensus.

Just as a matter if interest I thought Id run these figures by and see if I can get a
clearer picture... My electric storage heater uses 12kwh a night on cheap rate
night tariff. (Thats 85 p/night) That gets it nice and hot.
Im trying to calculate how many panels would give me the equivelent of
12kwh mains a day...so...

How does one calculate average annual UK output for each 100W panel?
Assuming more in summer less in winter etc.
And how can that be converted into 12kwh/day? In other words
in the UK, if one wanted 12kwh for *general use heating* during the day,
how many 100w panels, on average, would be needed to get the
the equivelent of a mains 12kwh/day input?
Thanks ahead.

Try putting your details in
http://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvgis/apps4/pvest.php

Chris