Posted to alt.home.repair

Default January Gasoline?

Frank wrote:
On 12/15/2014 5:16 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Somewhere I saw a post from somebody who claimed that the best time
to buy gasoline that is to be stored was in January.

Yeah... Stabil and all that....

Our local pumps all have "10% Ethanol" on them and the signs are
pop-riveted to the pumps, so I am guessing that does not change...
or does it and 10% is just the max?

But does anybody know what he was getting at?

I dunno , I'd think cold weather gasoline would be formulated
with a higher percentage of volatiles . Which means it evaporates
faster , leaving nasty stuff behind . I prefer non-eth gas for my
yard and garden engines . Motorcycle too , but the cars get
whatever's cheap . My stored gas is all non-eth , and has a turnover
of about 3 months . I don't bother with stabilizer for that short
time .

I agree. Cold weather means they can put more butane in gas and
unless can is tightly sealed more will evaporate in summer and
tightly sealed plastic cans will balloon somewhat. I only store gas
bought in summer. Stabilizer for me allows 2 year storage at which
time I put in cars.

Are you storing ethanol-laced gas that long ? Do you have problems with
water absorption and the alcohol separating out of the fuel ?

--
Snag