Posted to alt.home.repair
Reggie[_3_] Reggie[_3_] is offline

Default OT - I can't be the only one...

"trader_4" wrote in message
On Monday, December 15, 2014 4:29:49 PM UTC-5, No name wrote:
trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:06:04 PM UTC-5, No name wrote:

I don't know enough about Canada to form an opinion about them, but I
do
know that the US treats our veterans pretty well. Who do you think
provides all those prosthetics to veterans who suffered an injury in
service? The list of benefits is long, and I think you don't want to
confuse your whine with facts.

Wow, the VA gives you a prosthetic when you lose a limb in service
to the country. I'm impressed. Of course if that injury ocurred
while working for a US company, you'd likely get not only a prosthetic,
but also $1mil to go with it. And you wouldn't have to rely on Wounded
Warriors to provided you with a motorized wheelchair.

In point of fact, if you lose a limb while in the service, even off
duty, you get a prosthetic, money, education, and much more. If you
lose a limb while working for a US company, you get nothing if it was
off duty.
If it was on duty, you buy your own prosthetic, and sue the
company, with a lawyer who will take a big chunk of what you win, and
you learn about workers' compensation laws, which sharply limit what you
can get. You can't really be that ignorant.

Baloney. Most of the workers who lose a limb at work are covered
by medical insurance.

workers comp.

==============

If you are a federal worker, you are covered by the Federal Employee
Compensation Act (FECA). Typically, workers' comp will provide 66 and 2/3
percent of your monthly wages if you have complete lost a limb or finger as
in amputation, or have completely lost all use of the limb. Amputation or
complete loss of function of a body part is considered a permanent, total
disability and you will be warded 100% of the benefits according to the
schedule. The amount of time you can receive workers' comp benefits for your
injury is broken down by 20 different body parts, for example:

a.. Loss of a leg is worth 288 weeks of workers' comp benefits
b.. Loss of first finger is worth 46 weeks of workers' comp benefits
c.. Loss of an arm is worth 312 weeks of workers' comp benefits

If you have only lost 25% of use of your limb or finger, then you're
entitled to the number of weeks according to the schedule for the body part
injured, multiplied by 25%. If you lost 25% use of your leg, for example,
you would be entitled to 288 x 25% weeks of compensation; or 72 weeks of
workers' comp benefits.