Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Starting furnace after being off for 3 years

On Tuesday, December 16, 2014 4:23:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 23:08:53 -0800, "Sasquatch Jones"
wrote:
air than the vacuum can handle.

Anyway, that's my story. Does anyone have any ideas of a better
way to be sure the ducts get reasonably dust-free?

Thanks in advance!

SJ

Personally, I'd just change the furnace filters, wipe out the furnace
and try to wipe out the inside of the blower as much as possible (with
the power off), and then start the furnace. Just because the furnace
has been off dont mean the ducts fill with dust.

I would just do a filter change and normal service inspection. I
wouldn't wipe out anything. For one thing, you can't get to enough
of anything inside the furnace air system that it matters. Second,
as you say, just because it's been off, doesn't mean the furnace is
going to somehow fill with dust. Dust has to come from somewhere and
get in there.

But if this is a real concern for you, there are companies that do duct
cleaning. That would remove everything that has built up over the
years. But it may be costly ???
Call them and find out!

I agree. They can clean the ducts, but even they aren't going to get
inside most of the air handler of the furnace. Just because the WH was
leaking, if there is no damage around the WH, no mold visible, etc,
that wouldn't make me worry about the furnace ducts.
If he's worried, how about taking some grills, registers off and taking
a look? Any evidence of mold or abnormal dust in the filters, in the
easily visible part of the blower compartment?

And if there is a problem, I doubt the lysol approach is going to do much
to solve it. I'd also be concerned about choking off almost the whole system
and trying to run the blower.

A bigger concern is to be sure the burner is not leaking carbon
monoxide. Get a Carbon Monoxide detector or have a furnace guy look at
it. If this is an oil furnace the oil filter and nozzle could be
clogged.

Yes, normal inspection is what I'd do. I'd expect you'd get a little
smell of some kind on the first start. I notice that sometimes. But
absent some reason to really expect trouble, I doubt there is going to
be a problem.