Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Elaborate Christmas lights - Power Failures

On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 23:07:46 -0600, wrote:

When seeing some of the Elaborate Christmas lights people are putting on
their homes, and noticing more people doing this, I'm wondering what
precentage of the population would have to decirate to the extreme,
before they caused power failures?

But still, there has to be a limit!!!
Add to this, the fact that there are a lot more energy consuming devices
used in winter, than in warmer weather, such as heat tapes, electric
space heaters, furnace blowers, and more use of regular lighting due to
short daylight hours.

But you don't have the big AC running at the stores in winter and at
night, a lot of industry shots down so a good portion is offset. I've
heard of brownout, rolling blackouts,and a lot of energy emergencies
in summer, never in winter from high demand.

I also wonder if the power companies have a reserve, to assist times of
very high demand?

They sure seem to.

For example, I know of a house that has so many lights, their house
glows almost as bright as daylight (at night). Someone who knows the
owner, said he estimated there are around 250,000 bulbs. And a nearby
park is decorated every year. It takes over 200 volunteers to put them
all up, and they claim they have over 7 million bulbs. I've seen both
of them, and they are awesome, but I'm glad I dont have to pay their
electric bills.

IMO, that is just nuts and a waste.