Mike Vore

Default Maple Natural Edge Bowl

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:46:17 -0500, Barry N. Turner wrote:

I cut a few maple bowl blanks a couple of weeks ago out of some
freshly-cut firewood. The log was about 10" in diameter. I
chainsawed the log down the middle and bandsawed the pieces round.

I put the blank on the lathe and roughed a natural edge bowl.
Then, I placed it in a brown paper bag and set it aside for a few
days.

Last Saturday, I mounted the blank on the lathe and began to shape
the bowl. It was still very wet and tearing on the interior end
grain. I switched to a 3/4" half-round scraper. It was tearing
worse. Sharpened scraper. No help.

This is where I usually stop, Shape it with a bowl gouge, get it to
the correct shape, abd thickness and as smooth as possible on the face
grain. There will be tearout on the endgrain. Then let it dry, I let
it air dry, for a week or more. Then sand. Sanding before it's dry
will load up the paper. Wet endgrain just doesn't cut! Wet anything
doesn't sand!

mike

--
Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8]; WHIRL, ABC; CAW, CW, AAW
http://mike.vorefamily.net/omw - NEW * * Turned Wood items