George

Default Maple Natural Edge Bowl

You need to cut the wood, not scrape. Get a gouge and get going. Some
tools, angles and results pictured and discussed on
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/pin%20one.htm

I've got three sizeable lumps of oozing spruce to cut, and my small-scale
test of yesterday demonstrated that only a shearing cut will do. Anybody
know how it does in drying?

"Barry N. Turner" wrote in message
. ..
I cut a few maple bowl blanks a couple of weeks ago out of some

freshly-cut
firewood.
I put the blank on the lathe and roughed a natural edge bowl. Then, I
placed it in a brown paper bag and set it aside for a few days.

Last Saturday, I mounted the blank on the lathe and began to shape the

bowl.
It was still very wet and tearing on the interior end grain. I switched

a 3/4" half-round scraper. It was tearing worse. Sharpened scraper. No
help.