Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Consumer unit regulations change

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , harryagain
scribeth thus

"Sailor" wrote in message
eworldhosting.com...
harryagain wrote

I had my lecci meter changed today. The electrician had come from a
house where he he'd refused to change the meter. He'd looked at
the
circuits connected to it and discovered the T&E were lead sheathed.
It
appeared much of the house was the same.

Lead shielded cable has/had no earth wire.
So obviously didn't knowwhat he was talking about.
And might conceivably have been servicable.

You're talking ****e. If he'd touched the wiring and there had been
any
kind of problem anytime afterwards, the meter man could be held
responsible.

Did he test the installation?
What readings did he get?
Why would he need to touch the lead sheathed cable to change a meter
anyway?
Did he take off any switches to check the insulation?

He was a lying/ignorant toad if he said lead shielded cable had an earth
wire.
Hence not to be trusted.

Bloody heck Harry!, if its anything lead sheathed now it'd be falling to
bits when touched!!...

Or in you mind did they make lead sheathed PVC cables:?..

No, it was rubber. Which might be OK in a suitable environment.
Not very likely though.
I have a rubber insulated extension lead that's thirty odd years old.
Perfect condition, outlasted several plastic ones.

Must be a very special rubber eh?....

Nope, plenty of unused car tires last that long.