Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Jerry.Tan@spamblocked.com is offline

Default Trouble lights NEED Incandescent bulbs

On Sat, 13 Dec 2014 13:16:25 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

I used a CFL in a trouble light. Think it was 100W, it fit fine. It
did break though and you're right, it's a much bigger mess. I agree
cold temps are a problem. On the plus side, they are cool so you
can't burn yourself on the hot metal housing.

It seems some of the CFLs in the higher wattage, are getting smaller in
size. I could not fit soem of the older 100W (equivalant) sizes in a
lot of fixtures.

By the way, there is one drawback with incan bulbs in trouble lights. I
once had a trouble light fall, while working on a car. I had spilled a
small amount of gas on the ground. The bulb broke and I had an instant
fire. Fortunately the fire went out quickly and did not do any serious
damage. The trouble light was a little charred, but still was usable.
But if there had been more gas, it could have been much worse.

However, I suspect a broken CFL could spark a fire just as easily.