Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Bob is offline

Default Teflon Pipe Thread Tape

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 9:31:03 PM UTC-5, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I have a bunch of white Teflon pipe thread tape. I wanted some
thicker tape and the only thing I could find at the store was the
usual thin white stuff for water lines and some thicker stuff that was
yellowish in color and labeled for use on gas, kerosene, LPG. Doesn't
say anything about water. The white stuff doesn't say what kind of
liquid but does say for use on pipe threads.

I assumed there was some actual difference between the two making the
white stuff unsuitable for gas lines. But I just looked at them and
they are all labeled as MIL-27730A . Seems like the only difference
is one is colored yellow and is a little bit thicker.

Anyone know why the one claims to be for gas when it's listed as the
same mil spec as the white?

Google / look at McMaster Carr catalog for teflon tape
http://www.mcmaster.com/#pipe-thread-tape/=v0hqfp
You'll see what is available fir width, thckness, color et cetera