Posted to alt.home.repair
Vandy Terre Vandy Terre is offline

Default Fires and mud in Callifornia

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 01:33:24 -0500, micky
wrote:

There were many fires in California last September, and there is rain
now, and mud.

I don't concentrate on California in my news reading, but I've been
wondering for a long time if the residents downhill from where the fires
have been ever do planting where the fires have burnt away the plants.
I do read and watch and listen to the news and I've never heard an
indication that they do.

Would grass planted last September have taken root by now? Trees are
more expensive but what about trees? Sod is expensive, but perhaps it
could be placed in strategic areas so it works without having to cover
everything.

Do the residents water what is planted? I have 100 feet of hose and I
live in a townhouse. If I lived there and there had been a fire uphill
from me, I'd buy 1000 feet of hose or more, whatever it took.

Sometimes the time before fire and mud is much longer than this time,
and yet i still hear about fears of mudslides, or about the mudslides
themselves, and never about places where the residents did anything to
prevent the mudslides.

Do the residents downhill do planting or do they generally/always just
wait until the state or county government gets around to doing it?

Yes, kudzu can become a nuisance. Yet, planting
would go a long way towards stabilizing the land.
If the residents took to keeping goats as pets
that might slow down the kudzu from taking over
the world. Besides kudzu can be used as a food
and fiber source for human use.