Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Removing non opening DVD drive

In message , Gareth Magennis
writes

"John-Del" wrote in message
On Friday, December 12, 2014 6:24:33 AM UTC-5, Gareth Magennis wrote:

The loading mechanism was jammed because the CD spindle has a pad on it
that
appears to be one sided sticky tape?? The CD was strongly glued to it,
took
quite a tug to get it off!

Maybe this ring pad had come off somehow, leaving just the self adhesive
bottom bit behind? Dunno.

Odd. I wonder if that adhesive was originally a non-slip pad that
decomposed over time.

Seems to work fine without it.

(and I meant Double-Sided sticky tape)

I've got two LiteOn disk recorders - one an elderly LVW-5045, and a
somewhat later version (similar number, but with something like GL on
the end). With both have had the problems described.

With the older one, with the case cover off so I could see what I was
doing - and with the drive fixing screws removed - I managed to get the
front of the drive pulled forwards. Eventually I was able to detach the
clip-on front of the drive (there's a knack to this) without causing
damage, remove the drive completely, and separate the top and bottom
covers. I then could see exactly where to drill a small hole front panel
to poke in a straightened paper clip to operate the release mechanism.
[Note that, these days, I make sure that I don't leave a DVD in the
drive. However, even without a disk in the drive, it is usually
reluctant to open if it hasn't been opened for a few days.]

With the later version, there is a drop-down flap on the front panel. I
lowered this flap, and with my fingers crossed, I drilled in the panel
behind a hole in the same place as the older recorder. With some
persistence, I was then able eject a disk that had become glued in place
on the 'double-sided sticky rubber' on the central capstan. So far, I
haven't dismantled the machine to see what can be done to make the
sticky rubber un-sticky.

--
Ian