Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Car Battery voltage gone Crazy

On 12/13/2014 12:28 PM, wrote:

snip
tery.

Great explanation. Thanks. But I am left asking "What is MOSSING?"

I do agree that battery had an intermittent issue, which apparently was
not occuring when it was placed on the tester.

One thing I wonder, does the movement of the vehicle such as bumps in
the road, cause those separators to move, and thus cause intermittent
shorts? There did not appear to be any pattern to the voltage drops,
they just occurred randomly. Yet I did notice them more on one local
stretch of road which tends to be a rough ride.

Yep, a loose or slipped separator would cause an intermittent problem on
a bumpy road.

To me, that seems like the most likely explanation.

A more obvious problem would have been an internal "hard short"
such as broken plates permanently touching. In that situation the
battery would have been about 10.5 volts no matter what