Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

woodchucker wrote:
On 12/13/2014 12:49 AM, Bill wrote:
Lew Hodgett wrote:
Bill wrote:
Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing
for smoothing push sticks cut out of yellow pine with my band saw
snip
It's a classic POS product, IMHO.

Better to get a 12" disk sander and a separate spindle sander.

Even at H/F, you are looking at $140 apiece, but at least you
will have some decent equipment.

Lew

Tonight I worked my way from there. To the Ridgid oss/edge sander combo
tool ($200) which I looked at long enough
until it started seeming cheap (i.e. of somewhat low quality) to me.
Then up to the Jet benchtop 12" sander and OSS
which are about $1K for the two. The Jet OSS as well as the Ridgid OSS
both have mitered (tilting) tables. It seems like
a nice way to bevel off the corners (of many things). I will see how I
do first with the spokeshave and hand plane (as John suggested).
I am likely to enjoy the peace and quiet they offer.

Bill

The rigid is not a cheap tool. It's got an induction motor not
universal and is surprisingly well made.

Thank you for your comment, Jeff. Coming back "down to Earth", that
tool should probably be on my short wish list.
Probably a common situation among those here, my wife was urging me to
go to the store to choose a tool for myself for Christmas.
I'll watch whether maybe the Ridgid edge/OSS goes on sale in the next
few weeks. In the meantime, I'll try out my spokeshave! : )
I think my 2 spokeshaves, which I picked up at auction, are flat (as
opposed to round), but it should be okay...

I ordered this book and gave it to my wife to wrap up for Christmas

"40 Power Tools You Can Make (Woodworking Classics)"

I hope she likes it! ; )

Bill