Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

On 12/12/2014 5:58 PM, Sonny wrote:
On Friday, December 12, 2014 1:20:56 PM UTC-6, Bill wrote:
Bill wrote:
Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing

As a hobbyist, I've been using a 1975 Craftsman 4X24 handheld belt sander. I flip it over, as Russell, to use as a stationary. Just recently, it is showing signs of the brushes or something wearing out. It's been making ugly groaning noises at startup. After a minute or 2, it sounds better, but it's not purring.

I vote get a good handheld, for now..... heavy weight and increase AMPs. With the handheld, let the weight of the sander be the applied pressure, i.e., don't apply additional pressure, while sanding.

Sonny

I have a Ryobi handheld that is like the Bosch. It has a sanding frame
so it can be used for large flattening. The frame is great.

The flat top on it makes it easy to flip over but I don't need to use
it. Like I said b4.

--
Jeff