Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

On 12/12/2014 2:11 PM, Bill wrote:
Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing
for smoothing push sticks cut out of yellow pine with my band saw, I
started
reading reviews at HF on the 3.8 Amp one they have on sale for $59.99.
I know this is a "mistake" (maybe, maybe not).

I kept reading reviews, of all related units, 1/3 HP, 1/2 HP, 3/4 HP...,
1.5HP
(and even 2-3HP for people making knives, evidently they appreciate the
*consistency* offered by greater power).

The only group that really seemed happy, leaving out the knife makers, were
those that had the 1.5HP (say Jet, at $1400, with a closed stand). I
guess this
is what is known as the "slippery slope".

I could probably make due with my Nicholson rasp and sandpaper due to my
"low volume".
As Lew would say, my increased knowledge turned me into a "window shopper"
for the moment. I just thought I would see how happy people here are
with what
they are using (particularly if it's still available in the market place).

Bill

I found a unit that I rebuilt. I use it a lot.
I also recently aquired a Rigid belt and spindle.. haven't used it much,
didn't like the belt as much as I thought, prefer my old one. I do like
the spindle and oscilation, and dust collection.

But if I didn't have the old one I might appreciate the belt more.

I also have a 1" wide crapsman that I love too. I use it mostly for
metal but also replace the belt for wood that needs a small belt or an
inside done as this can be threaded through and remounted to do inside
sanding.

--
Jeff