Posted to rec.woodworking
John McCoy John McCoy is offline

Default Belt/Disk sander reviews

"dadiOH" wrote in :

"Bill" wrote in message

Thinking a stationary belt/disk sander might be just the thing
for smoothing push sticks cut out of yellow pine with my band saw, I
started
reading reviews at HF on the 3.8 Amp one they have on sale for
$59.99. I know this is a "mistake" (maybe, maybe not).

I kept reading reviews, of all related units, 1/3 HP, 1/2 HP, 3/4
HP..., 1.5HP
(and even 2-3HP for people making knives, evidently they appreciate
the *consistency* offered by greater power).

The only group that really seemed happy, leaving out the knife
makers, were those that had the 1.5HP (say Jet, at $1400, with a
closed stand). I
guess this
is what is known as the "slippery slope".

I could probably make due with my Nicholson rasp and sandpaper due to
my "low volume".
As Lew would say, my increased knowledge turned me into a "window
shopper"
for the moment. I just thought I would see how happy people here are
with what
they are using (particularly if it's still available in the market
place).

Bill

I have a Rikon. It is alright. I use the disk a lot, belt rarely.
If I had it to do over, I would probably go for a 12" disk (only)
sander and skip the belt.

I'd agree with dadiOH. I have a 4x24 stationary belt+disk
sander (ancient Delta model) which very very rarely gets
used. Generally only if I need to adjust the size of a
piece of particle board or something like that that I don't
want to use a plane on(*). The disk & table can be useful.
More often the hand-held belt sander is more useful than
the stationary belt.

(you can plane particle board, of course, but only if you
don't mind sharpening the blade frequently).

John