Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Tom Gardner Runs Ohio Brush Into The Ground

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 13:07:30 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:58:41 -0500, Tom Gardner
wrote:

On 12/12/2014 11:57 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Did you see the press release on the Navy's 30kw laser weapon? Is it
already obsolete or a good platform?

Yes, and I know the people who make the laser(s). It's been under
development for some years now. The lasers have been available as
commercial units but I think they've been working on the control
software to make the weapon effective. I know they've been refining
the power supply for compactness and portability.

What it is, is a stack of six 5 kW fiber lasers, like the kind used to
cut steel in fabrication shops. They're off-the-shelf designs,
probably modified to handle duty at sea.

Now we're in for a laser arms race. In Atlanta last month I saw a 5 kW
direct-diole laser. It has the potential to be quite a weapon.

That's "direct-diode." I had eye surgery two days ago. That's why I've
been making so many spelling errors for the past couple of months. I
can barely see the type.

--
Ed Huntress