Posted to alt.home.repair

Default "worn out" toilet

pete wrote: "I have been told my toilet is"worn out" and that is why the water
flushes so slowly......that the porcelian is worn
out.................have not heard of that before......suggestion by a
plumber was to pour dishwashing soap in bowl every couple of
days.....would improve but not much
ANy ideas??? Toilet might be 20 years old"

I *thought* this was a repair forum, according to it's name, but anywho...

One thing nobody mentioned on he The possibility of mineral build-up inside the rim jets of the toilet bowl itself. This is especially true with a very old fixture or if your local water supply is particularly hard. A small wire brush might be used to carefully clear out those rim jets and restore some of the original flushing power.

Using a plumber's snake to clear any drain obstacles, as mentioned earlier on here, is common sense, but should not require pulling up the toilet.

Finally, make sure your tank is refilling up to the full line inside, not 2 inches or so beneath it, so you are using the specified water amount per flush.