Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kwikset Smartkey

On 12/10/2014 10:00 PM, micky wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:19:56 -0500, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
"Stormin Mormon" -cdt-this wrote:

Kwikset, some of the better gear is OK, avoid
Smartkey, which is unproven technology.

I am not a locksmith, just a home owner with locks. I have about 16
Kwikset Smartkey locksets or deadbolts installed in two houses, and have
had no problems with them. It was easy to key them alike, and would be
easy to re-key them if a key were lost. (I ended up with lots of extra
keys to choose from!)

I have done searches on Smartkey and found a few critics of the system,
but also reports that they were secure. One critic suggested they were
bad because a locksmith could not use conventional methods to open them
without a key.

Besides Smartkey being "unproven technology", what other drawbacks are
there?

What positives are there?. That is, Makes it possible for the home owner to change the code of the lock, without taking the lock apart. So you can lock out the old keys and not get dirty. Also doesn't take much skill. What makes a smartkey smart? It
might well be something I want.

Fred

-
..