Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Spreadsheet of KWH versus Gasoline Cost for 22 Electric andPlug-In Hybrid Cars

On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 2:45:00 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:
On 12/10/2014 12:27 PM, SMS wrote:
I compared 11 electric-only vehicles and 11 plug-in hybrids for cost per
mile on electricity (for electric only) and cost per mile on electricity
versus cost per mile on gasoline. I did this at various prices per KWH
and prices per gallon.

What's interesting (and infuriating) is that about two miles away from
me is another city that doesn't use a for-profit utility, but that has a
municipally owned power company. They charge about 11¢/KWH (Silicon
Valley Power). I pay about 32¢ per KWH (PG&E).

Bottom line is that until gasoline is over $4.65 per gallon there's no
point in plugging my wife's Prius Plug-In. But someone in Santa Clara
should plug in as long as gasoline is more than $1.65 per gallon.

Unless you have free or low-cost electricity, the big advantage of
plug-in hybrids, or all-electric, vehicles, in California, are those
beautiful stickers that go on your bumpers that allow you to use the
carpool lanes with only one occupant in the vehicle. Actually they have
stopped issuing the stickers for the plug-in hybrid vehicles as they
reached the limit, but of course the vehicle manufacturers were able to
push through a bill expanding the number again.

Spreadsheet is at:

tinyurl.com/mpgvskwh or if you're scared of TinyURLs, use
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gsMLOa9VT-h5TUfYWmZh9AgMOfGBY_Cxfb-W_FJpIJQ/edit?pli=1#gid=1888830099.

Let me know of any errors. The data is not always easily available.
Especially the real battery capacity versus the rated capacity of the
battery pack if it were charged all the way (which vehicle manufacturers
don't do).

Very interesting study. Pardon the pun, but what you pay for
electricity is shocking. Private co. here in DE is about 11¢/KWH.
At my 6,000 mi/yr I'd save about $180/yr with hybrid but if you factor
in extra cost of the hybrid over conventional car savings would be nil.

That's what happens when you let a bunch of libs run things. I'll
bet if you look at the root causes, he's paying 32c/kwh because they
are funding moon beams, saving the whales, whatever, off his electric bill.