Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pain in the Butt Microsoft

On 10/12/14 10:56, Huge wrote:
On 2014-12-10, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

On 2014-12-09, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Huge
wrote:

AFAICS, hard links are fine on MacOS/X;

Well you may be able to make one (in Terminal) but the only place where
they are used in OS X is in Time Machine, such that each incremental
backup is jigged to look (to the user) like a complete backup. Works
quite well. Otherwise AFAIK they are forbidden. What the effect is in
OS X if you went around and created some, I know not,

Well, I was wrong. They work fine so long as you only manipulate them
in Darwin/Shell/Unix/Terminal (or whatever it is you MacPhreaks call it.)

Terminal.

Fair enough. Not a terminology I would use, but if the Mac community
uses it ...

In which I tend to run the zsh shell to do simple things like
fgrep.

One of the reasons I bought a MacBook was that it had a Real Unix system
underneath. It appears that it is slightly less real than I thought. But
not enough to make me get rid of it. Or run something else on the rather
nice hardware.

OSX may have a stable unix keernel at its heart, but the chrome and
tailfins applied on top make it just as ghastly as Windows.

The only advantage is that the hardware is tailored to work with the
software.

And it is a bit more stable as a result of those two things.

But you pay a huge price for that.