Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ten Minute Job on the gas line

On 12/9/2014 3:30 PM, TimR wrote:
You did it the easy way.

Picked a hole in the floor easy to get to.

Made up your length of pipes by joining

whatever what was at hand.

Would it have been that much harder to do it

the right way? Picked the spot where the pipe
should come through first, measure the amount of
pipe needed, buy it in long enough lengths that
your only joints are an elbow and a union? I
can't believe the cost of materials for a job
like this is significant; mostly this is a labor job.

Every single joint in a gas pipe is a chance to

make a mistake connecting it and a chance for a
future leak. I would leave as few chances as possible,
knowing that the result blows up the house.

Mostly, I would be hesitant to leave my work on

public view. Even if it is perfectly safe and
perfectly acceptable practice, a line in plain
sight with a bunch of joints for no apparent reason
kinda screams Joe's Garage rather than trained careful
professional, don't you think? We musicians say
"every gig is an audition." You never know who
will see your piping job and ask who did it.

Hate to pick on you Stormy but sometimes you're

too nice to your customer and do it the cheap way,
when you know (or should know) it would be better
to do it right even if it costs.

If you go back and read my post, I think I said
how I got the pipes together, and the customer
only then told me he wanted it in the more distant
place.

--
..
Christopher A. Young