Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Electrical Advice Needed - 3 way switch replacement resultingin a dead loop

On 12/08/2014 09:21 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 17:36:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I am in a townhouse that was built in the late 70s. From what I can tell the circut breakers, wiring, and electical switches are the original. I have been replacing my older style switches and sockets with modern square style swiches and sockets.

I removed a 3 way switch that was at the foot of my stairs and replaced it with a new one. When I turned the breaker back on I got power to other parts of the loop (my half bath on main floor) but no power to the three way switch.

I thought I may have put the black, white, or red wires in the wrong spots so I tried every possible combination. Each time the same result: nothing. Now the bedroom at the top of the stairs no longer has power either. This is strange because the half bath still has power when the breaker is on, but not the light in the stairs or the bedroom at the top of stairs.

I have not changed anything on the 2nd floor yet. Only changed switches on the main floor.

Short of calling an electrician, I don't know what to do.

My guess would be a loose wirenut inside the box with the 3-way. If
the switch was working properly before you changed it, it should not
affect any power to anything else.

Yep. That makes sense