Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I can't solder miniature connectors anymore...any tricks?

On Mon, 08 Dec 2014 20:55:10 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 05 Dec 2014 22:37:49 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

On 5/16/2014 12:17 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:
... For soldering, have you seen the dial indicator
holder that just takes one hand knob to tighten the whole thing? They
are just tits. Anyway, put an allegator clamp in place of the
indicator, hold the thing in place and tighten - it won't move even a
couple thou. maybe get one for the other part too.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...60426&fromRR=Y

You may choke on the price, but THEY ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I have one of those - a competitor's version, I think. It is a
FANTASTIC indicator holder. Great idea- using it for soldering!

I got mine when somebody here alerted to it's being on sale - for $65,
IIRC (not MSC). $65 seemed like a lot, but was worth it. $175, I don't
think so. I would HATE to have to decide whether to spend $175 for it -
it's so good, but that's so much.

Egad! Noga is downright _proud_ of that one, aren't they?

I just bought this for $19.95

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161430851697

These sell for $14.95 at Harbor Fright every day of the week, and
they're often under ten bucks on sale.
http://www.harborfreight.com/multipo...ment-5645.html

I've never seen one at the local HF store.

It arrived today. I bought it to mount a USB microscope, for
reworking circuit boards. I am going to use a longer rod, to give me
more depth so I can work on larger boards.

I have one or more of these (Swift microscopes) IRRC...10x which
might be too much...

http://www.microscope.com/media/cata...0__2_of_2_.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...16934432382642

I never use em. Shipping might be a killer unfortunately...

Might have a spare head though, that would ship easily if you want to
build your own. Want me to dig around and see what I can come up
with?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke