Posted to alt.home.repair
Reggie[_3_] Reggie[_3_] is offline

Default Electrical Advice Needed - 3 way switch replacement resulting in a dead loop

wrote in message
I am in a townhouse that was built in the late 70s. From what I can tell the
circut breakers, wiring, and electical switches are the original. I have
been replacing my older style switches and sockets with modern square style
swiches and sockets.

I removed a 3 way switch that was at the foot of my stairs and replaced it
with a new one. When I turned the breaker back on I got power to other parts
of the loop (my half bath on main floor) but no power to the three way
switch.

I thought I may have put the black, white, or red wires in the wrong spots
so I tried every possible combination. Each time the same result: nothing.
Now the bedroom at the top of the stairs no longer has power either. This is
strange because the half bath still has power when the breaker is on, but
not the light in the stairs or the bedroom at the top of stairs.

I have not changed anything on the 2nd floor yet. Only changed switches on
the main floor.

Short of calling an electrician, I don't know what to do.

when you say "does not have power" - how are you testing this? Are you
saying the light doesn't turn on? or are you saying you have used a voltage
detector to sense the presence of voltage on one or more wires?

Did you look at the unchanged switch to see how it is wired?