Kevin

Default Neighbors can be nice

Well I was out on the deck last Wednesday when I heard the siren' call that
would perk up the ears of many a turner - a chainsaw. I strolled over in
the direction of the music and a neighbor was working on a large 'stump' of
maple. I say 'stump' as it was about 12' high. We talked for a bit about
this and that and I finally got around to asking him of I could have a
couple pieces. I explained my addiction (lathe) and he said "Sure. I'll
have the son drop some off at your place."
Pulled in the driveway after work Friday with the wife who immediately
noticed the treasure. And a treasure it was. 3 pieces. The largest about 26"
dia. and over 4' high. Another piece slightly smaller dia and length. The
third, the only really manageable piece (By manageable I mean I can actually
move it around by hand) about 16" dia and 4; long.
Sunday I fired up the chainsaw and made a couple cuts on the smaller piece.
But, dagnabbit, the chainsaw (Stihl 028 Wood Boss circa 1984) quit on me.
Seems that when I give 'er the gas, the rpms only go up about 100 or so
higher but the chain don't move. I'm taking it into the shop today.
Anyways, neighbors are nice and I'll certainly give him a bowl or two as
soon as I can.