Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default Heat tape, frozen pipes, alarms

For years I listened to plumbers at work complain about hoses causing outdoor faucets to freeze.

They said the hose sucks the cold air up to the faucet and freezes it.

That never made any sense to me but we did have quite a few freezups in the housing units.

I eventually found out the occupants were leaving the faucet turned on and a sprayer on the end of the hose to stop the water. So I guess it made sense the water froze all the way up the hose to the faucet and beyond.

When I first worked in a plant a senior engineer pulled me aside and gave me some advice. He said always listen to the mechanics when they tell you what happened. They are on the scene first and they're good observers. When they start to tell you why it happened, stop listening and just pretend, tune them out quick. They are probably going to tell you something that is impossible by the laws of physics. You are at risk of ignoring what they really did see just because their explanation of why doesn't make sense.