Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default CFL and LED bulb recommendations

On 12/6/2014 12:00 PM, Fred McKenzie wrote:
In article ,
Andy wrote:

I know that Feit CFLs are crap.

What about other brands of CFL, what has been your experience with their
lifespan ?

What about the LEDs ?

How long have they lasted for you ?

Andy-

All CFLs seem to be a crap-shoot as to longevity. In theory, the
fluorescent bulb lasts a long time. When they finally fail, the ends of
the tube are black, just like the old cylindrical lamps

In practice, most of the CFLs I've had fail were due to electronics
failures after a few months to a couple years of intermittent use. I
have opened up several to see if they might be repairable. One had an
obvious loose connection that was easily fixed. All the others had
parts go bad, usually resulting in their fuse blowing. One was so
incinerated that there was obviously a flame involved, although you
could not tell from the outside.

LED lights should have longer life than CFL. I suspect their life will
also be limited by their electronics. The few I have used are still
working, but it is too soon to know how they will hold up. If there is
less electrical stress involved, that could be a long time compared to
CFL. Since none have failed, I have not taken any apart.

My only complaint about LED lights has been that some cause interference
to radio reception. The dimmable lights seem to be worse than
non-dimmable. If you have a radio that can be tuned to the aeronautical
band (120 MHz AM), you can use it to compare lights.

Fred

My experience has been similar with cfl's. In addition, I've bought a
few that emit an annoying squeal. Then there were 2 with a white light
so annoying that they now reside outside where it does not matter.
My cfl's, and I suspect led's, fail when turned on and off frequently
such as in a bathroom.