Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default CFL and LED bulb recommendations

On 12/5/2014 11:04 PM, Andy wrote:
I know that Feit CFLs are crap.

What about other brands of CFL, what has been your experience with their lifespan ?

What about the LEDs ?

How long have they lasted for you ?

Thanks a lot,
Andy

I put LED bulbs in 4 outside lamp posts and 1 LED flood. The flood light
is on the subdivision sign. The flood fixture has 2 20 watt LEDs and
looks much better than the 2 150 watt halogen tube fixtures it replaced
and has been there just a bit over a year. 2 of the lamp post units have
2 mini candelabra bulbs in each. Originally they were 60 watt
incandescent flame tip bulbs. They were replaced with 4 5 watt, frosted
lamps from Lowe's (UtiliTech). They have been a dismal failure. While
they look good, they only have lasted a few months. Lowe's made good on
the 5 year warranty, however, they seemed have stopped selling them ...
red flag??? They now only have the clear ones. So far, none of the clear
ones have quit. So maybe they just had some bad bulbs. BTW, these
fixtures are very large commercial looking units, so I don't think heat
is a problem.

Also, I have 2 post lamps on my property, which each use one Edison base
bulb. I replace these with the Utilitech (clear, Edison base, 5 watt)
units and they've been ok for over a year. Another clue that the others
may have had an inherent problem.

I've previously posted about changing out 2 utility room and 2 closet
fixtures which had 2 circline fluorescent lamps each. They were burning
out quite quickly and are pretty pricey to replace. I gutted the fixture
and put in a quad Edison socket in 3 of the fixtures. I used 4 60 watt
equivalent Crees in each. In one closet I left the Circlines because
it's rarely used and has never burned out. In the utility room there are
2 fixtures ... a bit too bright for everyday use, however, nice if you
need to do some close work. So, I put in a dimmer. In the other closet,
the 4 60 watt equivalent Crees work very well, however in all of these,
time will tell.

I also have a few other LED lamps scattered around the house, mostly
Cree and even one 3 way. They are working quite well. BTW, my local
power company (Duke) has a deal on up to 15 of the 40 or 60 watt
equivalent Crees for about $3 each. I used 12 of the 60s for the above
retrofits.

---