Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

On 04/12/2014 21:05, GMM wrote:
On 03/12/2014 10:32, Bill wrote:
In message ,
writes
Thanks for the replies. A cheap pillar drill it is, then. I hadn't
given much consideration to plunge control advantage of a "proper"
mechanism, versus the crappy lever that drill stands use. I'll do some
searching to try to find something acceptable at the lower end of the
price range.

I've had a drill stand and wouldn't buy one again.

I use a Fobco Star elderly Midlands-made bench drill. It is excellent,
and bought cheaply from the old-age retirement auction of a joinery
firm. I had seen one previously at the auction of a local kit-car
manufacturer but it only took a quick look at the state of that one to
understand why the company had failed.

I also have a cheap one bought in a B & Q sale years ago. It has more
speeds and a guard, but is nowhere near as good as the Fobco. It just
feels so much more solid and reliable and, judging by ebay prices, has
been a brilliant investment.

I bought a drill stand (cheapo jobby from MM), got it home and found it
wouldn't fit any of my drills. Went and bought a cheapo drill from
somewhere with the right size collar and being in the stand revealed
just how much run out it had, so the whole arrangement was a waste of time.
Waste of cash - should have just put the money toward a half reasonable
pillar drill. Once again, that demonstrated that you hardly ever save
any money trying to do things on the cheap when it comes to tools.

You can get good value from second hand "quality" tools, e.g. I bought a
mid range welder and similar air compressor from ebay at below entry
level prices, although both of them needed slight fettling.

Perhaps I have been lucky, only my Silverline half inch router is really
disappointing (and it just about coped with the kitchen worksurface
fitting which I bought it for).