Posted to sci.electronics.repair
KenO KenO is offline

Default Tips for Discharged Nokia BL-5J 1430 mAh 3.7 Battery?

Have a fully discharged Nokia BL-5J 1430 mAh 3.7 Battery that would like to safely test for charge retention.

Did some forum searching and found some general info.

Did not find anything concerning:

1. how to test if the battery fuse and protection circuit is intact. Just guessing that if infinite Ohms something is blown but have no idea what the normal Ohms should be.

2. Use another battery to try to charge the Nokia to get it above the charger cutoff point?

Hope someone has solved this problem and would like to share any tips.

Googled and found "Li-ion should never be discharged too low, and there are several safeguards to prevent this from happening. The equipment cuts off when the battery discharges to about 3.0V/cell, stopping the current flow. If the discharge continues to about 2.70V/cell or lower, the battery's protection circuit puts the battery into a sleep mode. This renders the pack unserviceable and a recharge with most chargers is not possible. To prevent a battery from falling asleep, apply a partial charge before a long storage period."

Also found by another Ken who does not want to share his method "On February 4, 2011 at 2:21pm
Ken wrote:
The article mentions how dangerous it is to attempt charging cells that have been @1.5v for just a few days. Well, that has not been in agreement with my experience. I occasionally salvage discarded Li-ion laptop battery packs...disassembling them to harvest the 18650's for personal r/c and flashlight use. I commonly pull cells that are totally flat: 0v, sometimes even with polarity reversed by a few millivolts. In addition, some of the battery packs I ripped into were prehistoric by lithium chemistry standards (10 years+). More often than not all cells would recharge to their FULL original rated capacity and perform as new. I always test each cell individually with my iMAX B6 charger, manually putting them through at least a couple 500mA to 1Amp discharge/charge cycles. I have *never* experienced any safety nor reliability issues to date.
I would also like to brag of having had success restoring substantial capacity to the occasional cells that truly were worn. I will never share my method_IT'S MINE !_do not ask. ...Additionally, that procedure IS potentially dangerous and requires mandatory attentive supervision.
I suppose I've been laughing all the way to the battery bank. I know, horrible joke!"
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a..._ion_batteries

Thanks

Ken