Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default question about Sony Discman

"John-Del" wrote in message
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 10:14:05 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Nothing is ever simple. I just keep telling myself "It's kaput,
so what difference does it make?"

Morbid curiosity most likely.

We like to think we're "smarter" than the equipment we're working on. In this
case, though... There's no question the Play button is shorted to ground even
when it's not pressed. But... the controls work through a resistor ladder, and
the readings I get for the resistors are backwards (eg, the 10K "base"
resistor is readable only when the Play button is pressed, though it should be
other other way around). This, of course, has nothing to do with the problem
(I think), but it drives me crazy.

"Just for luck", I pulled the cable from the main board and reinserted it. I
think I'll just put it back together and forget about it. (This problems isn't
going to have one of those "It works! It's a miracle!" endings.)

I have spares, and this model (D-FJ75TR) shows up on eBay occasionally at a
low price. So it's no big deal.

If you've got time that would otherwise be wasted watching TV,
then you'll probably enjoy solving the puzzle more.

I have a pile of books worth reading (among others, I'm working my way through
LIFE's "The Old West"), and a list as long as my arm of things to update or
repair. I'm trying to do one a day, but it's more like two a week. I just blew
out a classic Lux amp, so that's risen to the top of my list.

I did watch two Blu-ray movies yesterday, "Gojira" and "42". I was anxious to
see the latter, as an acquaintance was in it. TV watching is limited to when I
go to bed -- which, in this weather, is fairly early.