Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken[_6_] Ken[_6_] is offline

Default Mother board problem

wrote:
On Wednesday, December 3, 2014 9:27:56 AM UTC-8, Ken wrote: snip
Replaced the PS, a good thought however. This still leads me back
to a clock generator that is not showing any leads moving. The
processor cannot begin to function without a clock pulse. My
biggest problem is not being able to find any documentation for the
processor or the clock generator. Unlike days of old when such
info was available, the manufacturers only give it to those
purchasing (or about to purchase) a large number of their devices
today.

How old is the mobo ? We have some older (5+ year) servers at work
that don't run if the caps are bad. Replacing bad caps almost always
brings them back up. Computers are very fussy about the power
supplies. 'Good enough' rarely is.

The computer is probably not older than 4-5 years. It has Windows 7
installed and of course is a touch screen unit. The thing that makes
trouble shooting difficult today is many (including this one) are "All
in one" units and they are not as accessible as they once were. Put
that together with the manufacturers not wanting to give out information
about the components, and you are often forced into buying a new unit.

For what it is worth, I checked the caps on the MB with my ESR meter.
Searching the web, I found others with the same type of problem on the
same model of computer. That does not mean there is a common problem,
but it does mean I am not alone.