Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Fire Ants

On 12/3/2014 10:12 AM, Rebel1 wrote:

Then put a little bit of Amdro around hills, being careful (per
label) not to disturb the nest. It's real interesting to see them come
out of the nest in a minute or two to grab the bait.

Amdro's directions include using it for broadcast. I think that is
entirely wasteful, as f.a. nest close to pavement and structure and
putting it at the nest makes more sense.

Problems is, I don't see mounds anywhere. And before I bought the house,
I had a pro do an inspection; he didn't find anything out of the ordinary.

Amdro was the first product I used outside. It worked okay for a while.
My second outdoor treatment was with a product from Ortho (can't
remember the exact product name), bought at HD. Worked much better.

Another problem with Amdro: It's for outdoor use.

Nice thing about Amdro is that you aren't spreading poison all over the
place to get at a few nests. I've seen people dump enough Spectracide
on their yard to CRUSH all of the ants.....so lame and stupid.

Well, the idea behind making a real clean-up is to get rid of bait that
attracks them to the indoors. If there are no mounds (under planters or
pavers, along walks, etc) then they may not be fire ants. Get a bottle
of boric acid ant bait....most hardware and big box stores have it....it
is generic and easy to use. Put a drop or ten on the trail the ants use
to get to where they go in the house; takes a while, but it has always
worked for me.