#7   Report Post  
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
external usenet poster

Default Mother board problem

chuck wrote:
On Tue, 2 Dec 2014 19:07:22 -0800 (PST), wrote:

There is like a method to PC TShooting.

Pull all the cards except video.
If it has onborard video pull any video card and hook monitor to built in video.
try another power supply.

IF IT DOES NOT BEEP :

Remove all cards including video.
Remove all drives, even the USB card reader.
Remove ALL RAM.
Try another power supply.

One of those three actions should make the mobo beep. If not, the mobo itself as well as the processor are in question and at that point if it isn't too old you got so many options.

Make a new build, reregister the same OS, use the old RAM and drives, case all that ****.

Find a way to determine for sure if it is the processor, mobo or both. If not both, replace the bad one and you are all set. It CAN be both. I have seen where a processor shorted out and burned its socket, which is not replacable. So that is that.

But generally it is one or the other. usually there is only one main problem with anything. It may have caused more, but...

NOW, I forgot to mention something, when you pull all the cards and ****, remove the CMOS battery after that. Then try it again. See, WHEN IT BEEPS is what tells us what is wrong.

AND, in case you caught a BIOS virus (been there done that) when you see "CMOS CHECKSUM FAILURRE, DEFAULTS LOADED" is usually when you got it really fixed. Been there a few times. (when will I ever learn just to say NO when someone wants to touch my PC ?)

That's pretty much the scoop. Much more requires equipment, training, all kinds of ****.

And BTW to the people who say "CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGES CHECK THE POWER SUPPLY VOLTAGES !" I say this, "Just change the ****ing power supply". Now if that is not possible at the moment, DO look up the pinout fo the ATX PS and check the voltages. but I like to knoiw quicker, just plug a new one in and let it hang off the side or whatever. You get a display, beeps, whatever, then you know.

Bout it for now. Get thorugh that and keep us "posted"...

You are spot on about just changing the power supply instead of
testing voltages. Voltages will check fine on some Dell computer
power supplies but the computer won't boot. The problem is the power
supply. My guess is that the supply fails when current draw increases
on start up.

Replaced the PS, a good thought however. This still leads me back to a
clock generator that is not showing any leads moving. The processor
cannot begin to function without a clock pulse. My biggest problem is
not being able to find any documentation for the processor or the clock
generator. Unlike days of old when such info was available, the
manufacturers only give it to those purchasing (or about to purchase) a
large number of their devices today.