George

Default Food Safe Finishes (aka Speaking of Goblets)

Bacteria have cell walls with a hydrophobic (water-hating) exterior, which
is why washing with water and a surfactant - detergent, Leif - or soap kills
bacteria. Oil protects and shelters them. To get to the bacteria when
washing, you have to destroy the oil, too. So why bother?

Now, food safe and safe as food are two very different things. Food safe
includes a host of indigestible polymers, safe as food includes things like
vegetable oils and resins like shellac, most of which are extracted with
_deadly_ solvents in process. Once the solvent's gone, however, different
story. Oh yes, mineral oil is as indigestible as polyurethane, it's just
that it's also an intestinal irritant, provoking release of water in an
effort to break it up. That's why it's used as a laxative.

You might want to avoid "organic" nut oils which are pressed, not solvent
extracted, as they can contain the proteins which act as allergens, and can
induce severe anaphylaxis in about 1/10th of a percent of the population.

"fipster" wrote in message

For projects that are going to come in contact with liquids and salads I

always use MINERAL OIL. A
project with a good sanding and mineral oil will look fine. The

disadvantage is having to replenish
the oil finish every once in a while depending on useage. It's the one

finish that is completely
safe. Food dies would be okay but I would be leary about others.

Phil https://home.comcast.net/~phileen/index.html

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 13:53:13 -0700, "Antony Sykes" wrote:

Anyone care to point me in the right direction regarding "food safe"
finishes? I've looked into a few, such as walnut, salad bowl, and a few
other oils. Can these, or any other finishes, be applied over dies or
stains and remain food safe?

Thanks,
Antony Sykes
WWW (Wannabe Wood Worker)