Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill[_18_] Bill[_18_] is offline

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

In message ,
writes
Thanks for the replies. A cheap pillar drill it is, then. I hadn't
given much consideration to plunge control advantage of a "proper"
mechanism, versus the crappy lever that drill stands use. I'll do some
searching to try to find something acceptable at the lower end of the
price range.

I've had a drill stand and wouldn't buy one again.

I use a Fobco Star elderly Midlands-made bench drill. It is excellent,
and bought cheaply from the old-age retirement auction of a joinery
firm. I had seen one previously at the auction of a local kit-car
manufacturer but it only took a quick look at the state of that one to
understand why the company had failed.

I also have a cheap one bought in a B & Q sale years ago. It has more
speeds and a guard, but is nowhere near as good as the Fobco. It just
feels so much more solid and reliable and, judging by ebay prices, has
been a brilliant investment.
--
Bill