Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

Scott M wrote
wrote

Thanks for the replies. A cheap pillar drill it is, then. I hadn't
given much consideration to plunge control advantage of a "proper"
mechanism, versus the crappy lever that drill stands use. I'll do some
searching to try to find something acceptable at the lower end of the
price range.

IMO the cheap ones all come out of the same factory.

Bull****.

I got a Parkside one from AldidLidl for about £40 and, AFAICT, it was
basically the same as the Clarke ones from MachineMart.

If they did come out of the same factory, it would be identical.

But I got the 16mm chuck instead of the 13mm on the boggo Clarke.

Not going to win any awards, but bloody good for the price and perfectly
acceptable if you're not after split-thou tolerence.