Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_2_] Bill Wright[_2_] is offline

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

Dennis@home wrote:
On 03/12/2014 08:55, Scott M wrote:

Not going to win any awards, but bloody good for the price and perfectly
acceptable if you're not after split-thou tolerence.

You need a mill for that accuracy.

I have the same aldi/lidl drill and it works fine for most things.
Swapping the belts around can be a pain though.

I find the wide range of speeds well worth the effort of belt changing.
Turn it off before you put your fingers in though!

I find for example that drilling or countersinking aluminium is much
better at a very slow speed because the aluminium doesn't go soft and
clog up. Drilling ceramic is better at a very high speed with very light
pressure.

Bill