Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott M Scott M is offline

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

wrote:
Thanks for the replies. A cheap pillar drill it is, then. I hadn't
given much consideration to plunge control advantage of a "proper"
mechanism, versus the crappy lever that drill stands use. I'll do
some searching to try to find something acceptable at the lower end
of the price range.

IMO the cheap ones all come out of the same factory. I got a Parkside
one from AldidLidl for about £40 and, AFAICT, it was basically the same
as the Clarke ones from MachineMart. But I got the 16mm chuck instead of
the 13mm on the boggo Clarke.

Not going to win any awards, but bloody good for the price and perfectly
acceptable if you're not after split-thou tolerence.

--
Scott