Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drill stand or cheap pillar drill?

In article ,
wrote:
I have seen el cheapo pillar drills at 50 to 100 quid. I have also seen
drill stands to take a regular hand held drill for similar money. My
drill is an old-ish Bosch (650w power, IIRC). On the pillar drill front,
lots of the cheap ones get poor reviews, with particular criticism
levelled at side to side play in the chucks or the raising/lowering
mechanism. At least I know my hand held drill is quite well made.

And that tends to be the problem with a drill stand. Sideways play. To
minimise that, you need a pillar drill where the chuck is concentric with
the pillar. Then it's just down to how well it is made.

Other thing is a normal mains drill tends to run far faster than you'd
ideally want. And can't be slowed enough with a speed control.

--
*The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.