Posted to alt.home.repair
Col. Edmund Burke Col. Edmund Burke is offline

Default Off and Pop for changing sockets

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I watched and old electrician, about to change a
recepticle / socket. He had a junction box on about
six inches of cord, with a three wire plug. He
plugged the device in, and pushed a big rubber
covered button. Down the hall I could hear a
breaker go clunk.

Neat! I ocurred to me that he'd used a huge
contactor to drop a dead short, and shut off the
breaker to the socket he was replacing.

(note to all: Please do not try this if you have
a Federal Pacific Electric stabloc panel.)

I went home and made such a device out of a 15
amp toggle switch with light. First time I tried
it, I fused the contacts, and the switch would
not turn off. Took that out and put in a 20 amp
Leviton switch, and have used it several times
without trouble.

I labelled it "off" and "pop".

Sure is safer than the Jesus method.

-
.
Christopher A. Young
Learn about Jesus
www.lds.org

Six inches, huh? About yer size, I reckon.
LOL