Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Off and Pop for changing sockets

On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:42:53 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I watched and old electrician, about to change a
recepticle / socket. He had a junction box on about
six inches of cord, with a three wire plug. He
plugged the device in, and pushed a big rubber
covered button. Down the hall I could hear a
breaker go clunk.

He is too lazey and cheep to buy one of the electronic detectors. The one
where you plug a small box in the receptical and go to the breaker panel and
run a hand held device up and down and find the correct breaker.

If it was just down the hall and within hearing range, a small radio that
plugs in makes a good way to tell which one supplies the power.

What about all the extra time these two methods take. Time is money.
And the customer doesn't want to pay by the hour for him to listen to
the radio and walk back and forth down the hall or the stairs.

About the only time I might recommend the short is if there are critical
items that can not be turned off for a few seconds , or if in the case of
where I worked in a very large plant a great difficulty of locating the
power source due to multi breaker boxes and floors and buildings.