Tony Manella

Default Musing about books and stuff

Hi Arch,
For thought provoking reading try Mike Darlows series of books. While they
are filled with many pictures there is plenty of reading and its hard to
find more comprehensive coverage of woodturning topics in any one source.
For example his one book has 10 or 12 methods listed for turning a sphere.

I haven't purchased his woodturning design book yet but plan on it being my
next book purchase. As far as woodturning philosophy I think Nietzsche
wrote a book about that, or was it Ophra? I always get those two confused.
;-)
Tony Manella
ndd1"at"prolog.net (remove "at")
http://home.ptd.net/~ndd1/
Lehigh Valley Woodturners
http://www.lehighvalleywoodturners.org/

"Arch" wrote in message
I bought two more woodturning books recently and I have thoroughly
enjoyed perusing both. Ray Key's older classic for a bedtime read
during my London sojurn, and Mark Baker's current offering because I
like his editorials and magazine. Both comprise pictorial instructions
for projects combined with the ever-present and seemingly mandatory,
wadding of safety, tools and equipment. I already have catalogs with
pictures and would have preferred more narrative re the author's
opinions on current issues that affect the turning life. (BTW, is
unbiased opinion an oxymoron?) OK (sighs & groans), what is he musing
about this time?

Well, I've listened to many lectures, watched many tapes, attended many
demos visited many websites and gabbed for hours. However for me, what
little residual knowledge remains is mostly from reading which I love
doing. I do wonder why I continue buying books of pictures when there
are so many just as good or often better all over the internet ....and
for free!

So the point, if there is one, of these few (yeah, right) words is how
do y'all best enjoy and retain learning about our art/craft? DIY advice
etc. surely has its place, but what primarily narrative current books or
articles can you suggest for me? Why? I've about worn out Pain and
Child. Thanks, Arch

Fortiter,