Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default Fires in Ferguson, Missouri ...

On 11/29/2014 06:28 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:09:36 -0600, philo wrote:

Just out of personal curiosity (I have this discussion every once
in awhile and the answers alway fascinate), is it only possible for
white people to be racist?

Of course not, I've seen plenty of black racists and other nationalities
as well.

Lets face it , we all have prejudices my self included.

Does a prejudice make one a racist? Help me out. I'm prejudiced but
not a racist. Or does being prejudice make you racist?

I get confused.

People sling the word racist around everyday but they don't say what
it means. I need a definition.

You are asking some damn good questions using the Socratic method.
Each time you ask, I find myself try to refine my answer...and in the
process am learning a lot...and as Socrates knew, the answer was already
there.

Now as to racism I am thinking of those conversations where a person of
one race was trying to prove scientifically that another race was
inferior. I guess at this point I'd say that is a good example of racism.

Viz: the concept that one race is superior to another. Bigger question
is that of defining race...is there even such a thing?

What I've learned is that we all have prejudices and the only way to get
past them is to realize they are there.

That's true of problem solving of any type. One needs to be aware of the
problem before one can solve it...and the fist step is defining it.