AHilton

Default Georges drive-by was -> Musing about critiques

George,

You're STILL smarting from being schooled on this topic so many months ago?
Poor guy (I assume). So, now you are saying that the FPL is wrong on this
topic??? Many of their whitepapers do have some problems but I'm not aware
of any technical problems with the one you are, obviously, referring to...

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/techline/II-2.pdf

It is quite a simplistic explaination of bluestain (and adds spalting, etc.
in there for comparison but doesn't really make much of a distinction) but
it is, basically, an acceptable 2 page report on the subject. Bluestain IS
caused by a fungus. However, not everything "blue" is Bluestain just as not
everything moldy is spalting. LOL It's far too simplistic to think
otherwise. Surely, you are not using this one paper as the basis of all of
your purported knowledge on the topic? The FPL, FS and USDA do a good job of
study, reports, and disseminating information regarding topics such as wood
coloration and decay but they are certainly not the only ones. In fact,
they source out much of their study and report findings/writings to
educational, private and corporate institutions. These government agencies
just then regurgitate (and possibly repackage) that information without
review many times. I do commend the FPL for their efforts to keep their
information public instead of going back to hiding behind pay-priviledge
venues like so many institutions are doing the past few years.

But I digress again. g I notice that you still didn't answer my question
to your rather quick declaration on mineral stain after repeated requests.
To help you (and others that would dare to follow along yet again g), I'll
give the long link (watch the wrapping) to the thread that I believe you are
having a problem with this time and alluded to. Hopefully, you'll answer
the question. If you do, please just reply to one of my repeated requests
from THAT thread and leave this thread to the critiques topic. I only post
this one message in this thread in the hopes of drawing your attention as
you successfully (whether you really wanted MY attention or not) did mine.

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...adm=4028c975_3
%40newspeer2.tds.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26ie%3DISO
-8859-1%26q%3Dbluestain%2Bfungus%2Bgroup%253Arec.crafts. woodturning%26meta%3
Dgroup%253Drec.crafts.woodturning

That post of yours is the very definition of a drive-by. Sad. Not surprising
but still sad. I welcome honest and frank discussion either publicly or
privately. But throwing shots out like you (and others) have just to see
what it hits just isn't acceptable. I'll try to bring it back into a
discussion of topics instead of just pot-shots.

- Andrew

Predictable Andy:
"That's sad, Ray. Where did I challenge anyone about anything in the

Online
Critique thread? Why must you throw around flame bait? "

Anyone see this response as a precursor? Forest products Labs is really
wrong about bluestain being a fungus.