Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default Fergy, no guilty

In article , gonjah
wrote:

From what I gathered; there was a shooting, with eyewitnesses that
contested the cop's version of the story. That should have been enough
to indite. It wasn't the grand jury's job to determine who was telling
the truth. The prosecutor's softball cross examination didn't help
either. The whole thing was odd.

The GJ's job was to look at the evidence in total to see if there
was enough probable cause to indict. Grand jury members must hear
**all** aspects of the evidence before they take action. This evidence
typically consists of witness testimony and written documents. Grand
jury members may question witnesses and can decide how many witnesses
they want to hear. They can also subpoena more witnesses from anywhere
in the United States. (Emphasis added)
After the evidence has been presented, grand jury members must
deliberate to determine whether the evidence is sufficient to produce an
indictment -- also known as a "true bill" -- which is a formal criminal
charge. Grand jury members must ** evaluate all aspects of the
evidence*** and may request transcripts for clarification on previous
testimony or request that written documentation evidence be made
available for reference. If grand jury members decide there is no
probable cause to believe that a person has committed a crime, they can
vote for a "no bill," or "not a true bill," which frees the person from
having to plead to a criminal charge.

Read more :
http://www.ehow.com/info_8287966_dut...y-members.html

Don't get me wrong. I have a great deal of respect for law enforcement.
I want to believe Wilson, but we can't just ignore the witnesses.

But we also can't ignore the witnesses for either side, and
especially not the forensic evidence.
(Actually if it was up to me, I'd keep witness testimony out of trials
entirely since every study ever done shows how wildly inaccurate eye
witness testimony is. But that ain't gonna happen.
--
³Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive,
but what they conceal is vital.²